Thursday, 7 January 2010

Que vida mas dura

I can feel the fatigue slowly creeping up on me - small things are becoming harder to do - like getting up of the sofa, or getting some food, or talking.

Its not like i'm tired on the bike - todays ride, 170km from Lake Taupo to Wanganui was a toughie no doubt, 50km of driving rain and then some heavy headwinds to finish made for a long day out (6.5hrs). But the legs felt good again - the first climb of the day I rode tempo on the front of the group and split the pack apart. The legs just feel 'numb' to the burn - they just push harder when i ask them to. Its harder to get the HR up (a sure sign of general fatigue) but my power number are higher than ever.

Its a total physical tiredness - that shelled feeling. Its coming, i can feel it. Tomorrow is the camps biggest ride: 200km to Masterton over rolling terrain. Thats after an 8km run and 3km swim. I have promised myself to take it easy and accept it will be a very long day out, up to 8hrs on the bike. My iPod is charged and I am actually looking forward to some 'me' time. A nasty headwind will change my mind however and I will look for some shelter.

We pass through a large town - Palmerston North, on the way to Masterton. If I am far enough ahead, I will stop and get some coffee and cake (I dont want to hold up the tail end charlie vehicle) or some lunch at a cafe. I have pushed hard the past few days and my body has responded well. After tomorrow we have 3 days of lighter riding (130km, 28km, 130km) - a good chance to get some rest in the legs.

The day started out with a chilly 3km swim in Lake Taupo again - can't say my mind was 100% on swimming a pb, but I got it done nonetheless. After the first climb and my moment of glory, the fast bunch took off up the road - destination: A special 15km (optional) climb to the ski station of Whakapapa, the highest paved road in NZ. I opted out as a) I could and b) i didnt want to ride up to the highest paved road in NZ. I'll come back one day and drive up it, like normal people do. The name Whakapapa had me giggling for about 30km afterwards as well (you pronounce 'wha' as 'fu' in NZ). Its the little things.

I rode mainly with Russell again today - he is very steady and is a good wheel to follow. Not much thinking required. Once we arrived in Wanganui I forced myself to run a steady 5km as I don't want to have to run 10km a day for the last week (we need to run 105km during the camp - our choice when to do it).

One thing that is very evident is my lack of tolerance to the sheer relentless pace of the daily grind. Whether i'm not used to it, or I need to HTFU - I dont know. I can't believe its now 9pm and I have to go to bed, and then I have to get up at 0630 to run to the pool and swim 3km and then run back and then ride for 200km - and then do it all over again. I now know what Tour de France riders mean when they talk about living in a vacuum. Its tough, no doubt.

2 days then its goodbye to the beautiful, rugged, tough, SBH infested North island. 2 days before I can rest my weary butt off (literally)

POTD is a vista of the Tongiriro national park. Beautiful. And todays title comes from John (Nics father), usually uttered after a long lazy lunch - I repeat it to myself when things get low. It works.


  1. Stay strong, buddy. We're willing you on from here. Take things at your pace whenever you can. Many of those freaks just aren't normal :)

  2. You are doing us all proud mate. Rock hard.